- The sailor stood at the top of the mast, high above the Captain. His hand pointed away from the ship, across the miles of ice that covered the sea.
- I was born in Switzerland, in the town of Geneva. My parents loved each other very much, and I learnt from the example of their love.I learnt that to love and to be patient are the most important things in the world.
- For seventeen years my life was very happy. Then the first sad thing happened. My mother became very ill,and soon she knew that she was dying.
- In my laboratory I made a body.I bought or stole all the pieces of human body that I needed,and slowly and carefully,I put them all together.
- I want you to know before you arrive home that an awful thing has happened.Your dear youngest brother,William,is dead. He was murdered.
- At first I decided to tell the police my story. But would they believe me? I had been very ill. When the police learnt about my illness, they would think the monster was just one of my bad dreams.
- After I had left the laboratory, I escaped into the country outside the town. I soon felt hungry and thirsty,and my first food was fruit which I found on some trees near a river.
- One day in summer a lady on horseback rode up to the house and knocked on the door. She had dark hair,and was very beautiful. The family were all very pleased to see her.
- Isat in my dark hut, and felt both angry and sad. One half of me wanted to hurt the people who had hurt me.The other half of me still loved them.
- I am alone and miserable. Only someone as ugly as I am could love me.You must make another creature like me, a woman monster to be my wife.
- One evening two months later I was sitting in my lab-oratory.Most of my work was done,and I could finish the woman monster that night.But I wondered if I should finish the work.
- The judge was an old, kind man, but his face was very serious as he looked at me. He asked a number of men to tell me what they had seen and found the night before.
- After the wedding a large number of our friends came to a party at our house. When the party had started,Elizabeth and I said goodbye and left for our honeymoon.
- I decided to leave Geneva for ever.I took all the money that I needed,and left the town.Before I left,I went to visit the place where William,Elizabeth,and my father lay at rest.
- I,Captain Robert Walton,have added this final note to the story.When you have read it, you will know that Victor Frankenstein's story was true.