- 三十九级台阶：1 The man who died2012-03-21
- I returned to my flat at about three o'clock on that May afternoon very unhappy with life. I has been back in Britain for three months and I was already bored.
- 三十九级台阶：2 The milkman starts his travels2012-03-21
- I sat down in an armchair and felt very sick. After about five minutes I started shaking. The poor white face with its staring eyes was too much for me,so I got a tablecloth and covered it.
- 三十九级台阶：3 The hotel-owner2012-03-20
- It was fine May weather as I travelled north that day,and as I watched the fields and the trees and the flowers,I wondered why,when I had been a free man,I had stayed in London.
- 三十九级台阶：4 The political candidate2012-03-20
- I drove that car across the moor as fast as I could,looking nervously over my shoulder. I was also thinking desperately about Scudder's notes.
- 三十九级台阶：5 The adventure of the roadman2012-03-20
- I sat down at the top of a hill and rested. Behind me was a road climbing out of a river valley. In front were two kilometres of flat open country.
- 三十九级台阶：6 The bald writer2012-03-20
- I spent the night in the hills,in some thick heather be-hind a rock. I had no coat and I was very cold. My coat,Scudder's notebook,my watch and even my pipe and tobacco were with Mr Turnbull. All I had was some biscuits.
- 三十九级台阶：7 The fisherman2012-03-19
- I sat on a hill top and thought about my next move. I wasn't very happy,because although I had escaped,I was feeling very ill.
- 三十九级台阶：8 The coming of the black stone2012-03-19
- i came down to breakfast the next morning and found Sir Walter reading a coded message. He seemed less re laxed than yesterday.
- 三十九级台阶：9 The thirty-nine steps2012-03-18
- Sir Walter got up and left the room. He came back after ten minutes. Ive spoken to Alloa. I got him out of bed-he was very angry. He hasnt left his house all day.
- 三十九级台阶：10 Meetings by the sea2012-03-18
- It was a fine,blue June morning,and I was outside a hotel in Bradgate looking out to sea. There was a ship out there,and I could see that it was a warship of some kind.